Monday, September 15, 2008

Outer Banks Apron

I mailed off my package for the Flirty Apron Swap today.  The theme for this apron swap was "What I wish I had done on my summer vacation."  The idea was to make an apron that represents our partner's dream vacation destination.  We were also to include a local recipe and some kind of souvenir for the area.

My swap partner said that her dream vacation was to the Outer Banks.  I had to google it.  Then I realized that that is the area where one of my best friends Lori used to live.  Duh.  So I got her to fill me in on the Outer Banks scoop.  She told me that the islands are famous for their lighthouses, so I decided to do a coastal lighthouse themed apron.  I picked the Cape Hatteras lighthouse because of the cool black and white barber pole striping.  
The Outer Banks are also known for being the stomping grounds of famous pirates, like Blackbeard, Anne Bonney, and Calico Jack.  Blackbeard had a hideout on Ocracoke Island (where Lori lived), and was killed in a battle in Ocracoke Inlet.  There is supposedly still pirate treasure buried there, but if Lori found any, she's not sharing!  I added a pirate ship out in the water on the apron for Blackbeard.


Lori sent me some authentic Outer Banks seashells and a book of Outer Banks mysteries and sea stories.  She also sent me a couple recipes that she used when working in a restaurant there.  "Dishwater" Clam Chowder, which she assures me is delicious despite the name, and "Shrimp Hour" shrimp.  Lori said that Old Bay seasoning was required to make this package complete because people there put it on everything.  


I hope my swap partner likes her package.  With Lori's help I think it turned out pretty cool!

1 comment:

Carla Klinker Cope said...

I love the apron! It turned out great. I know you swap parter will love it too!!