Sunday, June 8, 2008

knitting at the beach

Ok, this is my first blog post.  I decided to do this blog mostly to keep long-distance friends up to date on what I'm up to.  I plan on mostly just covering my knitting and other crafting projects. During the summer, when I do fieldwork for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, I may also post some pictures of what I am seeing in the great outdoors.  
Today, for example, I was working at the Anchor River boat launch area and interviewing sportfish anglers when they came into port.  I took this little series of pictures to show how the boats come in and are picked up by the launch tractors.
The boat and tractor get lined up....
They scoot right up onto the boat trailer..
And the tractor tows them out and up onto the beach.  Where I am lying in wait, bwah ha ha!
I had one out-of-the-ordinary interview today with a fisherman who, in the middle of the interview, informed my that he also "caught" a fish hook in the hand, and he couldn't get it out!  He was completely nonchalant about this.  If this happened to me I would be screaming and running around in circles!  Gahh!
On to something less gross.  I often bring a knitting project with me when I am working at the beach, in case there is downtime between boats.  My current project is the gathered pullover from Interweave Knits winter 2007 issue.  As I am not a very "accomplished" knitter, this is an exciting and challenging project for me.  It will be my first sweater with sleeves, and my first cable.  This being my first cable, I forgot to bring a cable needle with me.  So, of course I made it to the cable in the pattern today!  I looked around the truck for something to use as a substitute... car key would be too snaggy... pencil is too big... oh! oh!  I had a plastic fork in my lunch box!  Here is a picture of me trying to knit a cable with a plastic fork in my truck.  I'm just like MacGyver!  Sort-of!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Just like MacGyver. You're so smart. I'll have to teach you needle-less cabling next time I see you, it feels dangerous...

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the ol' fork trick. :) Now I see.

Anonymous said...

AAAAHHHH???? WHAT THE FORK, THAT'S JUST FORKIN' PERFECT.... I USED A TOOTH PICK ONCE BUT KEPT BREAKING IT. I WISH I HAD A FORKIN' FORK THEN.